Albert E. Phillips Scholarship
Supporting education in the design and construction industry.
The Albert E. Phillips Scholarship honors Al Phillips, a founding member of COAA who served as general counsel for the organization for 13 years. COAA acknowledges that education is a critical element to the success of those pursuing a career in our industry. As such, COAA is proud to offer up to two (2) $3000.00 Albert E. Phillips Scholarships annually to college students pursuing a career in the design and construction industry.
Winner(s) are announced at COAA's Spring COAA Connect Conference held annually in May. Recipients that elect to attend the Conference receive a complimentary conference registration, hotel accommodations, and airfare to and from the event.
Eligible Students must be either:
- a relative of an employee of a COAA Member
- an employee of a COAA Member Organization, or
- a full-time student at a COAA Member Organization of higher education
The COAA scholarships are intended for full-time undergraduate students who have successfully completed their freshman year. Applicants should have a minimum 2.5-grade point average on a 4.0 scale. A current copy of the student transcript is required.
How to Apply
Students must submit:
- Scholarship Application (below)
- Essay of 1,000 words or less on one of the following topics:
- What attracted you to construction and what are your career plans in the industry
- What do you find to be the most critical issue facing the construction industry and why?
- A complete application includes two letters of recommendation.
- Our preference is for one of the recommendation letters to come from a COAA Member who knows you and your work well.
- If a COAA member is unavailable, professors, teaching assistants, and internship supervisors are acceptable.
2016 recipient - Ahmed Zakira
(New York University)
2014 recipient - Rachel Sommer
(The Pennsylvania State University)
2016 recipient - Curtis Lucas
(University of Houston)